Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint essential oil is one of the most popular oils. With its many uses it?s a great one to keep around the house. Peppermint oil is also one of the most potent and should be used with caution on children and sensitive skin, I would recommend always diluting it with fractionated coconut oil, or another carrier oil.
Peppermint oil has many qualities including anti-inflammatory and expectorant. It?s known for helping to clear congestion and helps some people with allergies and asthma. One common use is for settling an upset stomach.
Our favorite uses:
– Help settle an upset stomach
– Help relieve motion sickness
– Add a drop to tea for delicious peppermint tea
– Add a drop to hot chocolate for a fun twist
– Spray along doorways to prevent spiders and insects from entering the house
– Diffuse to help relieve congestion
– Apply to forehead to help relive a headache
– Apply to forehead or bottoms of feet to help relive a fever
– Refreshing mouthwash- add a drop to water and swish!
– Rub with a carrier oil on sore joints, layer with lemongrass oil for even more relief
Of course the favorite use of peppermint essential oil may be that it repels spiders! Spiders have a unique place in the world and do a lot of good things I am sure. But I want them to live outside and not in my home! Its much better to have the house smell minty fresh and make spiders feel unwelcome, than smelling a chemical insect repellant.
We love using essential oils when we can for our household and health.
For more reading on the subject of natural home care: